Kathy is a well-known Sydney Naturopath, Nutritionist, Western Medical Herbalist, and Homoeopath. She works with patients with a wide variety of complaints, from acute colds and flu to serious and chronic diseases, including allergies, gastrointestinal symptoms, menstrual or menopausal problems, men’s health, cardiovascular issues, autoimmune diseases. Kathy is a trained Fertility Management Counsellor and works with couples who are having difficulty conceiving.
She also loves to guide people towards optimum health, especially babies and children. An important aspect of this is what we feed our bodies and how we interact around food as a family.
“As a Sydney Naturopath, I focus on finding the cause of illness in a wholistic way. This means supporting and nurturing the body, mind and soul back to health, rather than trying to ‘fight the battle’ or applying a bandaid. There are many ways to find the cause(s), and often I will utilise functional testing which you can read more about below. An important part of the journey to health is for the individual to feel empowered, not dependent. Knowledge is power.”
Kathy has been in clinical practice in Sydney for well over two decades. She has lectured and clinically supervised Naturopathic degree students at all major Sydney universities and colleges and is a speaker and published author. She is a contributor to the major Naturopathic textbook Clinical Naturopathic Medicine edited by Leah Hechtman.
During her early years in practice, Kathy’s particular interests led to extra study in the complex field of female hormones. She ran classes for women to help them cope with the changes during their peri-menopausal years and in 2002 authored a book for practitioners: Managing Menopause Naturally – A Comprehensive Clinician’s Manual. The happy menopausal patients brought along their daughters, sons and grandchildren which led to Kathy to study and qualify as a counselor in Natural Fertility Management.
Over the past decade, Kathy has seen an increase in the numbers of people presenting with various autoimmune disorders, such as Graves’ disease and Crohn’s disease, which has led to further study in the gastrointestinal microbiome, epigenetics, methylation and organic acids. She has undertaken considerable extra training in cutting edge functional testing and utilises uBiome, GI-MAP, ImuPro, Nutripath, Histopath, Doctor’s Data, Research Nutrition, Great Plains, Genova, Opus 23 and others as required. See Functional Testing below for more details.
Kathy has been trained in and has experience with a wide range of health issues including but not limited to:
- SIBO, SIFO
- Food intolerances
- IBD – Crohn’s disease, Ulcerative Colitis, Coeliac
- Parasites, viruses, fungal and bacterial infections
- Meeting and balancing the microbiome for health
- Painful periods
- Fertility, Natural Conception or Contraception
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Peri-and post-menopause
Babies & Children’s Health
- Infantile colic, reflux
- Sleeping difficulties, nightmares
- Colds and ‘flu
- Eczema, dermatitis
- Bronchitis, asthma
- Gastrointestinal disorders
- Allergies and intolerances – food and airborne
- Stress management
- Poor sperm vitality and/or count
- Cardiovascular health
General Health at all ages
- GUT health
- Autoimmune diseases
- High cholesterol
- High or low blood pressure
- Stress management and support
- Thyroid imbalance, blood sugar imbalance, weight issues
- Dietary and lifestyle advice
Kathy takes a comprehensive history of your health, past and present, as well as finding out what you eat and drink, your activities, your medications and supplements. This takes 45-60 minutes for adults. The remainder of the 90 minutes allocated will be spent preparing your first phase of treatment, and ordering any tests that are deemed necessary.
Should you know what testing you wish to undertake, you may not need a full consultation for your first visit. Please email Kathy to enquire how you may go about this: firstname.lastname@example.org
Functional Testing (no Medicare rebate) includes, but is not limited to:
* GI-MAP test through Diagnostic Solutions (https://www.diagnosticsolutionslab.com/resource-library/) Now available through Nutripath in Australia, called Complete Microbiome Mapping. This is the most advanced test option to identify gut bacteria, parasites, viruses, yeast infections, pathogens that are commonly found in auto-immune diseases plus other markers of digestion and gut health.
* Organic acid test (OAT) (https://practitioner.researchnutrition.com.au) for a snapshot of what is happening inside gut, brain, adrenals, and liver cells.
Alternately a Dutch Complete plus Cortisol Awakening Response (https://practitioner.researchnutrition.com.au/functional-tests/dutch-plus/) Test is ordered on-line by Kathy, urine samples are collected in the privacy of your own home and posted.
* SIBO breath test (https://sibotest.com/pages/index). The most accurate test for methane and/or hydrogen dominant SIBO. Test is ordered on-line through Kathy. Breath tests are collected in the privacy of your home and posted.
* 23andme genetic ancestry (https://www.23andme.com). Saliva sample is collected in the privacy of your own home and posted to USA. Results are plugged in for a health report from StrateGene then Kathy decodes and provides you with a practical and understandable way to work with your genes OR
* A more comprehensive and in-depth genetics analysis is now available since Kathy has completed the certification process to work within the extensive data base of Opus 23. Your 23andme or Ancestry data is analysed. You can have just two or as many consultations as you wish to assess the most relevant genetic snps or polymorphisms that might be impacting your health. Several hundred of these snps can be reviewed to uncover disease risks, specific organ and tissue health, nutrient, food and drug metabolism and much more. For more information email Kathy email@example.com
* Full thyroid co-factors profile including iodine, selenium and tyrosine. Test is ordered on-line through Kathy, urine sample is posted.
* Comprehensive cardiovascular profile including methylation genes, histamine, homocysteine, inflammation profile, cholesterol, liposcan, lipoproteins A & B. Test is ordered on-line by Kathy. Blood sample is collected by Laverty pathology, centrifuged then posted.
* Food allergy and sensitivity assessments of blood IgE or IgG (http://imupro.com.au). Test kits are available from Kathy. Take to Laverty pathology who will centrifuge your blood sample, you then post to ImuPro who send to Germany.
- Master of Health Science (Herbal Medicine) – University of New England
- Bachelor of Education – University of Sydney
- Diploma of Naturopathy – Nature Care College
- Diploma of Herbal Medicine – Nature Care College
- Diploma of Nutrition – Nature Care College
- Advanced Diploma of Homoeopathy – Calcutta, India
- Certificate of Natural Fertility Management
- Certified Opus23 Practitioner
- Fellow National Herbalists Association of Australia (FNHAA) – Executive Board Member 2012
- Australian Homoeopathic Association (AHA) – NSW Board Member 2002-2010
- Australian Traditional Medicine Society (ATMS)
More of Kathy’s Background as a Sydney Naturopath
In her earlier life she was a school teacher and grew up with an interest in healthy diet and exercise, vitamins and a natural approach to health. Thus, when a series of family health crises occurred, she sought the help of a Naturopath whose deeply healing therapies inspired Kathy to study naturopathy and homoeopathy. Later, the attainment of a Masters degree in Western Herbal Medicine enabled her to integrate her love of teaching with her passion for clinical practice and she has lectured for 15 years at the University of Western Sydney, Nature Care College, Sydney College of Homoeopathic Medicine and Endeavour College, Sydney campus.
Kathy’s other publications include: autoimmune disease chapter in the major text for naturopaths Clinical Naturopathic Medicine (1st and 2nd editions); article on Graves’ disease in the Australian Journal of Medical Herbalism; various articles and chapters in Nature and Health, Informed Voice, Journal of Complementary Medicine and Challenging Children. The focus of Kathy’s writings is to outline how a holistic naturopathic approach can assist in complex health issues.
Family is Kathy’s most precious hobby, especially two captivating little granddaughters. Kathy loves to constantly learn about health, in-between sharing meals with family and friends, pottering around her favourite city and its beautiful foreshores, sipping an organic red wine or curling up with a podcast or a good book.
Should you have to change your appointment to another day or cancel it for any reason, you will need to ring 9211 3811 at least 24 hours prior, otherwise a cancellation fee will apply as follows:
- More than 1 business day notice: no charge
- Less than 1 business day notice: full appointment fee charged (note: appointment can be conducted by phone at the allocated time if necessary)
- Missed appointment: full appointment fee charged