Marie practices functional/integrative medicine to address complex and chronic health issues. As an integrative GP she seeks to identify and address the root causes of disease, and views the body as one integrated system, not a collection of independent organs divided up by medical specialties. She incorporates lifestyle medicine, nutrition, supplements, stress reduction and exercise to improve the functioning of organs as a means of preventing disease and creating vibrant, sustainable health.
She promotes a health-focused, patient-centric partnership, in which doctor and patient work together to dig deep and find out the causes of illness and disease. She examines not only the patient, but also their unique history, environment, lifestyle and underlying factors, and then develops a health-enhancing plan to help restore the patient to good health and get him or her on a life-long path of wellness. It’s not unusual for Marie to spend an hour or more with patients, listening to their histories, doing the detective work to determine the patterns that effect health.
Marie is able to tap into all the tools of healing—drawing from Western, Eastern, preventative and integrative medical practices—to help her patients heal. By pulling from all of these approaches and by paying special attention to diet, exercise, nutrition, supplementation and the workings of the mind, she does not just give patients a band-aid, she aims to give them the tools to create sustainable wellness and vitality.
Marie’s areas of special interest include but are not limited to:
- Food intolerances
- Microbiome restoration
- Infections- bacterial, fungi and parasites
- HPA axis dysfunction (previously known as adrenal fatigue)
- Thyroid dysfunction including Autoimmune Hashimotos
- Insulin resistance/Diabetes
- Menstrual disorders
- Endometriosis and other Estrogen dominant conditions
- Peri- and post- menopause
- Pre conception and pregnancy support
- Recurrent infections/lowered immunity
- Stress related burnout
- Chronic fatigue/post viral syndrome
Marie works both as an integrative GP and a somatic psychotherapist. Her deep-seated interest in finding the root cause of dis-ease has led her to study many modalities and undergone deep enquiry into the mind-body connection.
She attended the University of New South Wales where she pursued a double degree in Medicine and Arts, majoring in sociology and philosophy. From this early foundation, she grasped how fundamentally our mental-spiritual-emotional health impacts on our physical well-being.
She went on to formally train in a mindfulness-based, body-oriented psychotherapy and treats both individuals and couples. She is committed to providing a nurturing and safe environment to compassionately explore what makes us who we are and what gets in the way of reaching for the kind of life that will bring most meaning and satisfaction.
Suitable for individual therapy with a focus on:
- Depression and Anxiety
- Grief Adjustment Disorder
- Depression associated with Chronic Illness
- Unexplained somatic symptoms
- Relationship difficulties
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (HONS)
- Bachelor of Arts (Sociology)
- General Practice Fellowship with the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP)
- Qualified Antenatal Shared Care Provider with Royal Hospital for Women Randwick and Royal Prince Alfred Hospital
- 3 year Professional Training with Hakomi Psychotherapy Australia
- 1 year Professional Training with Hakomi Embodied and Aware Relationship Training, Hakomi Australia
- Training programs with Australian College of Nutritional and Environmental Medicine (ACNEM)
- Training programs with American Academy of Anti -Aging Medicine (A4M)
- Training programs with Australasian Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine (A5M)
- Continuing Professional education in General practice, Functional and nutritional/environmental medicine.
- Continue Supervision and Professional Education in Psychotherapy
Fee Structure and Bookings
Please bring any previous medical records/ specialists’ correspondence, reports of your scans, blood and other test results and a list of past and current medications and natural remedies.
Initial consultations are booked for 1 hour.
Standard follow up can be 30 mins, 45 mins or 1 hour and this will be indicated by Dr Paek after your consultation.
A 45 mins or 1 hour appointment might be preferable when you have not seen Dr Paek for 6-12 months or when you are returning for several new test results or travel a significant distance.
$285 60 minutes
|Fee||Medicare item number and rebate|
|60 minutes||$395||Item 44 ($111.50)|
|$100||Item 23 (39.10)|
|30 minutes||$200||Item 36 ($75.75)|
|45 minutes||$300||Item 36 ($75.75)|
|60 minutes||$395||Item 36 ($75.75) or Item 44 ($111.50)|
|Psychotherapy||$295 60 minutes||Item 36 ($75.75)|
If closer to your follow up appointment new additional concerns have come up, please phone reception. You may wish to extend the duration of your existing 30 mins booking (time permitting) or to schedule a separate consultation on a different day so that all of your concerns can be given the best attention they deserve.A 45 mins or 1 hour appointment might be preferable when you have not seen Dr Paek for 6-12 months or when you are returning for several new test results or travel a significant distance.
There are other, more helpful Medicare rebates for a GP Mental Health Plan (allowing you to see a registered psychologist for psychotherapeutic support for anxiety or depression) and for a GP Management Plan and Team Care Arrangement (providing you with 5 visits with an allied health practitioner, such as a physiotherapist, exercise physiologist, osteopath, chiropractor, occupational therapist, podiatrist, speech pathologist or psychologist per calendar year (January – December of each year) for some chronic health conditions of more than 6 months duration.
- Standard blood tests such as full blood count, kidney and liver function, thyroid screen, sugar, cholesterol are bulk billed under Medicare.
- Functional pathology testing is usually not rebated by Medicare. Dr Paek will advise you on relevant functional tests (e.g. gut microbiome, urine or saliva hormone testing & organic acids) but ultimately this is your choice as these tests are privately billed.
- Treatment protocols: Dr Paek will sometimes create plans/protocols for the patient after reviewing functional test results. This will incur a fee based on the time spent to create a plan/protocol outside of the consultation time.
The cancellation policy requires a minimum of 48 hours’ notice within business hours (Monday to Friday: 9am to 6pm). The cancellation fee is the cost of your booked appointment time (i.e. $200 for 30 mins and $395 for a 60 mins visit).
We are sending you sms reminders a week ahead of your appointment to give you sufficient time to change your booking should you need to. If you need to change your appointment, please ring 9211 3811 otherwise a cancellation fee will apply as follows:
- More than 48 hours (within business hours) notice: no charge
- Less than 48 hours (2 business days) notice or missed appointment: 100% of appointment fee charged